Monday, May 19, 2014

Hilton Austin review

I stayed at the Hilton Austin for two nights.

Overall, the service and staff were great. I didn't interact with them much except at check in, when I asked for some toothpaste (was delivered promptly) and when I asked to extend check out (done with no problems). So kudos for the professionalism.

The downside involved the room and amenities. First, the bed was super uncomfortable. It felt like an old spring mattress...which I have to say I am not used to after sleeping on memory foam. The blankets were thin so I was glad the thermostat was easy to control/turn off and on.
Unfortunately, the pillows were flat as the sheets. I kept rolling the pillows underneath my neck for comfort to no avail. The first night, loud neighbors were randomly yelling to each other down the hallway around 2 a.m. This is not Hilton's fault obviously, but I wonder if the guests are the partying/stay up late type. After all, the hotel is located downtown.

There was no night light in the bathroom so when I had to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, I was blinded by the lights each time. For some reason, there was only one rack for towels. No small rack for hand towels and all the towels were rolled up and placed under the sink. I think this unnecessarily encourages one-time towel use because where am I supposed to hang my hand towels? Throw them back under the sink?

I liked the soaps and lotions. I have eczema and I am sensitive to some cleansers but the Peter Thomas Roth products seemed fine for my skin.

The wifi cost $14.95 per day unless you were an hhonors member. I have only stayed at Hilton brands a handful of times so I didn't want to sign up for another rewards club (in addition to Marriott and IHG) but I did this time so I didn't have to pay for wifi in the future. The staff at the front desk signed me up in minutes and told me everything was going to be emailed to me.

Unfortunately, I did not receive an email so I have to call and inquire/sign up again. I kind of wish she gave me my hhonors member number right there so I could use it in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment